MCA Human Element Leadership And Management (Operational) - Webinar - HELM(O)
The STCW Human Element Leadership & Management – Operational Level course will develop delegates knowledge and skills of the key human factors influencing effective resource management. The HELM(O) course at Stream Marine Training is available as a webinar. This webinar course is an excellent option if you are looking to save time on travel, but still gain a solid understanding Human Element Leadership & Management.
The STCW Human Element Leadership & Management – Operational Level course is designed to meet the mandatory requirements for training in the human element, leadership and management at the operational level as set out in Regulations II and III of the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW). It provides delegates with awareness and understanding of the key human factors influencing effective resource management. This training is a prerequisite for a first Certificate of Competency (CoC) issued by the MCA meeting the requirements of Regulation II/1, III/1 and III/6.
Situation and risk assessment: to understand the influence of a situation and risk assessment in the principles and practice of decision making at an operational level
Situational awareness: how to acquire and maintain situational awareness and accidents and increasing safety margins
Communication: how to recognise and apply best practice in communication, and be aware of barriers to communication and how these may adversely affect situational awareness
Shipboard training: to understand the aim of shipboard training, the principles of learning and methods of developing human potential
Culture: how to recognise and respond to cultural issues including cultural awareness and bias including national, organisational, departmental and personal cultural approaches
Team working: to recognise team working models and conflict management style
Leadership and management: to recognise and demonstrate effective leadership behaviours
Workload management: understand the concept of task and workload management and be able to apply it. Recognising fatigue and stress in yourself and others, and developing strategies for dealing with them
If you are interested in being taught this course at our facilities in Paisley, please click here
- Please note for this course you must have a stable internet connection with a PC, laptop or tablet/iPad that has an active camera. SMT must be able to see you at all times in order for you to sit the course, take the examination and if successful receive your certificate through the post.
- Participants are advised to have stable Internet speeds of over 5 Mbps for the best user experience.
- At least 330 kbps (send), and 245 kbps (receive) will be required for connection.
- We recommend using a desktop/laptop computer or a tablet with a large enough screen to comfortably see the presentation and follow media materials.
- If a mobile/tablet device is used make sure to have both Zoom and Microsoft Teams applications installed. The device must have a functioning web-camera and microphone.
Successful delegates will be awarded with an MCA approved STCW Human Element Leadership & Management – Operational Level, after a short exam.
Students following an MNTB/MCA approved programme are eligible to attend this course after their first seagoing phase.
Students following the experienced seafarer route to MCA certification shall meet the minimum seagoing service requirements for the issue of a first CoC.
Photographic ID (A Government issued, photographic proof of identity on the day of the course and this should take the form of either a valid Passport or a driving license or a valid discharge book).
If you are unsure of which prerequisites you may need for a course, please go to https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/maritime-and-coastguard-agency to check.