MCA Human Element Leadership And Management (Management) - Webinar - HELM(M)
The STCW Human Element Leadership & Management – Management Level is a theory-based course that is aimed at individuals onboard a vessel in a management position. This is a mandatory certificate to have for candidates wishing to complete a management level Certificate of Competency (CoC). This course is offered as a webinar at Stream Marine Training, making this more accessible for delegates across the UK and abroad.
If you would prefer to learn in person at our excellent facilities near Glasgow Airport, please click here to find out more
- Identifying the principles and good practice in shipboard human resource management
- Explaining the relevance of the ‘human element’ in shipboard operations
- Apply relevant and related international maritime conventions and recommendations, national regulations, codes of practice and guidelines, while using leadership and managerial skills to control the operation of the ship and care for persons on board at the management level
- Apply the principles of task and workload management, including planning, co-ordination, allocation and prioritisation of human and physical resources
- Use project management as an aid to decision-making
- Explain effective resource management techniques with regard to:
- Allocation, assignment and prioritisation of resources for effective task and workload management
- Effective communications principles
- Leading and managing teams
- Assertiveness and leadership
- Obtaining and maintaining situational awareness
- Apply the principles and practice decision-making
- Lead and manage the development, implementation and oversight of standard operating procedures
- Identify the principles and good practice in shipboard training, learning, coaching, mentoring, assessment and developing shipboard personnel
- Please note for this course you must have a stable internet connection with a PC, laptop or tablet/iPad that has an active camera. SMT must be able to see you at all times in order for you to sit the course, take the examination and if successful receive your certificate through the post.
- Participants are advised to have stable Internet speeds of over 5 Mbps for the best user experience.
- At least 330 kbps (send), and 245 kbps (receive) will be required for connection.
- We recommend using a desktop/laptop computer or a tablet with a large enough screen to comfortably see the presentation and follow media materials.
- If a mobile/tablet device is used make sure to have both Zoom and Microsoft Teams applications installed. The device must have a functioning web-camera and microphone.
Successful delegates will be awarded with an MCA approved STCW Human Element Leadership & Management – Management Level, after a short exam. This will qualify individuals to ‘use leadership and management skills’ set out in Tables A-II/2 and A-III/2 of the STCW Convention and Code 1978, as amended (2010).
Delegates must hold a deck or engineering Certificate of Competency at the operational level and meet the minimum seagoing service requirements for the issue of a management level CoC.
Photographic ID (A Government issued, photographic proof of identity on the day of the course and this should take the form of either a valid Passport or a driving license or a valid discharge book).
If you are unsure of which prerequisites you may need for a course, please go to https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/maritime-and-coastguard-agency to check.