Deck Cadetship Training Programme
As a Deck Officer you will play a vital role within the ship’s management team and be responsible for making decisions on the vessels steering, manoeuvring, navigation and communications. So it is important to be a good team player, to be decisive and calm in a challenging circumstance.
A potential deck officer should have a keen interest in technology, with good mathematical and communication skills. They should be confident, enthusiastic and be able to work on their own initiative.
Upon successful completion of your training course you will be issued with your Officer of the Watch Certificate (OOW), this allows you to gain employment as a Junior Officer and start to climb your way through the ranks with the ultimate aim of becoming Captain of your own vessel one day.
The Entry Requirements.
- A minimum of four National 5’s/GSCE at grade C or above which must include Maths, English and a physical science.
- Hold a valid UK/EEA Passport
- Have been normally resident within the UK for the last 36 months
- You will be offered up-to 9 additional short courses free of charge to give you a competitive advantage in the wider industry for when you complete the training programme
- You will receive a designated Cadet Training Officer who will be your first point of contact throughout your cadetship and will be there to help and support you throughout the 3 years.
- We offer assistance with job finding and CV writing upon successful completion of training to get you into your first role as a junior officer.