Shipboard Safety Officer Training
PRICE: £600.00 (excluding VAT)
To enable designated personnel to take up the role of a safety officer onboard a ship, as identified in The Merchant Shipping and Fishing Vessels (Health and Safety at Work) Regulations 1997 (SI 1997 No. 2962) (the Regulations), which define a safety officer as ‘a person who has sufficient training and experience or knowledge and/or qualifies, to enable him/her to properly undertake the duty imposed under the relevant provision in the regulations.’
The aims of the course are to ensure that the delegates will:
- Understand the duties of the SSO
- Have considered the legal framework for safety
- Understand the relationship between the ISM code, safety management on board ship
- Have an overview of the ISM code
- Have considered the causes of accidents
- Understand the process and limitations of risk assessment
- Have considered the accident investigation process
- Understand the importance of appropriate interviewing technique
- Have considered factors influencing the effectiveness of safety committee meetings
Who’s it for?
This course is suitable for seafarers who are about to serve, or are already serving as either safety representatives or safety officers. This training is intended to meet the requirements set out in The Merchant Shipping and Fishing Vessels (Health and Safety at Work) Regulations and the Code of Safe Working Practice for Merchant Seafarers (CoSWP).
On achievement of the desired standard of competence, a certificate can be issued by the training provider.
Learners shall be a minimum of 18 years old and have at least 12 months sea time, plus will have served at sea in a merchant vessel and have in addition a minimum of two years’ consecutive sea service since attaining the age of 18. In the case of a safety officer on board a tanker, this shall include at least six months service in such a ship.
If you are unsure of which prerequisites you may need for a course, please go to https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/maritime-and-coastguard-agency to check.
Delegates will need
Glasgow International Airport,
For group bookings call Stream Marine Training on 44 (0) 141 212 8777 for rates.