We often receive questions and enquiries about what is STCW training and what is the difference between STCW 95 and STCW 2010.
Therefore we have compiled a small overview for you
What is STCW 95 Training?
The International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, abbreviated to STCW, is an international convention establishing a basic standard of sea survival and fire prevention training for any person working on a merchant vessel. It is commonly referred to as STCW 95 and STCW 2010. All seafarers working onboard commercial vessels are legally required to update the STCW 95 certification courses every five years.
What is the difference between STCW 95 and STCW 2010?
STCW 2010 is the most recent amendment to STCW 95.
STCW was initially introduced to the maritime industry in 1978, it was reintroduced in 1984. In 2002, STCW 95 amendments were adopted to ensure all seafarers had basic safety training certification ahead of working onboard a commercial vessel. It has underpinned a standard of basic sea survival and fire prevention across the seas ever since.
The most recent of the code adaptations, the 2010 Manila Amendments, instructs seafarers to hold evidential documentation proving certification of the legally required basic training (STCW 95/STCW 2010) within the last five years. Individual’s who’s training took place longer than five years ago are required to complete a self-declaration form stating whether revalidation training has been completed or not.
Stream Marine Training offer the entire required STCW 2010 courses, as individual courses or as a block. Book the courses online or call our customer service team on: +44 (0)141 212 8777.
The amendment of STCW 95 in 2010 as introduced two new security courses; STCW Security Awareness (SA) and STCW Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities (PSSR).
Have a look at the full list of basic safety courses and refreshers offered at SMT:
STCW 2010 Basic Safety Training
- STCW Personal Survival Techniques (PST)
- STCW Fire Fighting and Prevention (FPFF)
- STCW Elementary First Aid (EFA)
- STCW Personal Safety & Social Responsibilities Webinar (PSSR)
- STCW Proficiency in Maritime Security Awareness Webinar (SA)
The following courses are for those who already have STCW certificates and require updates or refresher courses.
- STCW Proficiency in Personal Survival Techniques Updated (PSTU)
- STCW Proficiency in Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting Updated (FPFFU)
- STCW Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boat Updated other than fast rescue boats (PSCRBU) – Route 1 or Route 2
- STCW Proficiency in Advanced Fire Fighting Webinar Updated (AFFU)
- STCW Proficiency in Fast Rescue Boats Updated – Route 1 or Route 2
If you cannot find the course you are looking for search for it here or call our bookings office: 0141 212 8777, as we offer many more STCW and other industry courses than that shown above